IN TERMS OF POPI ACT CONDITION 6, SECTION 18, NOTIFICATION
By enrolling in, attending, or engaging in business with St Cyprian’s School, you acknowledge that your personal information (including special personal information) shall be processed by St Cyprian’s School.
This Privacy Notice gives you some helpful information about who we are, what personal information we collect about you, why, who we share it with and why, for how long we keep it, and your rights.
1. Who we are:
St Cyprian’s School
2387 Gorge Rd, Oranjezicht, Cape Town, 8001
Telephone numbers: 021 300 6500
e-mail address/addresses: email@example.com
St Cyprian’s School provides pre-preparatory, preparatory and high school education from Grade 000 to Grade 12.
2. Information we collect about you (the “data subject”):
- We collect the information about you as stated in the table below.
|Data subject category
||Personal information processed
||Names; date of birth; ID/passport number/permit number; contact details: telephone numbers (if available), physical and postal address, email address; nationality; gender; academic record; extra-curricular activities record; awards record; well-being/medical; disciplinary action record; confidential correspondence; confidential counselling record; contact details of emergency contact person; head and shoulders photograph; limited photographs and/or video/audio/streaming video material with or without the name of the student;
|Parents / guardians / caregivers of learners / Council members
||Names; date of birth; ID/passport number/permit number; gender; marital status; contact details: telephone numbers, physical and postal address, email address; nationality; financial records; confidential correspondence;
||Names; date of birth; age; ID/passport number/permit number; contact details: telephone numbers (if available), physical and postal address, email address; nationality; gender; marital status; ethnicity; home language; education information; copy of qualifications, curriculum vitae; employment application form; references; employment contract; appraisal records; financial information: tax number, remuneration details, medical aid number, retirement fund number and contribution, other authorised deductions, garnishee orders; disciplinary action record; vetting records; copy of professional council registration certificate (if applicable); confidential correspondence; contact details of emergency contact person; well-being/medical;
|Suppliers / contractors (natural persons)
||Names; date of birth; ID/passport number/permit number; nationality; tax-related information, contact details: telephone numbers, physical and postal address, email address; names of authorised signatories; nationality; contract to supply/perform a service; confidential correspondence;
|Suppliers / contractors / entities (juristic persons)
||Legal name of the entity; registration number; tax-related information; Names of the contact person/s; contact details: telephone numbers, physical and postal address, email address; contract to supply/perform a service; confidential correspondence;
- Additional information may be collected with the consent of the data subject, or the responsible adult if the data subject is under 18 years of age.
- Student enrolment agreements, staff employment contracts and service provider/supplier/ contractor contracts may include provision for consent to the collection of additional information.
- There is no expectation of privacy in the open spaces of the school’s property and any venue open to the public, or at any event off the school’s property and in an open space or venue open to the public.
- There is an expectation of privacy in classrooms, school toilets and changing rooms, staffrooms, and all offices.
- Many areas to which the public have access are covered by the school’s CCTV system.
- In some instances, the school will make use of video/audio/streaming video material with or without the name of the data subject. Streaming video, although monitored by the school where reasonably practicable, is used for school and public events which in its nature becomes part of the public domain once published.
- Definition of Personal Information According to the POPI Act: ‘‘Personal Information’’ means information relating to an identifiable, living, natural person, and where it is applicable, an identifiable, existing juristic person. The POPI Act, which has more specific examples. They can be found at the following link: Click here
3. How we use your information and the legal basis:
We use your personal information:
- to process student enrolments,
- to provide students with appropriate education and support,
- to monitor students’ academic progress,
- to care for the health and well-being of staff and students,
- for administration of enrolment, class placements, granting awards and bursaries,
- for administration of matters concerning parents, including fees, exemption applications, insurance claims, school Council elections’ voters roll, communication,
- for administration of matters concerning staff,
- to process appeals, resolve disputes, and defend litigation etc.,
- for the conducting of disciplinary processes of students and staff,
- to comply with our legal obligations as a public school in terms of the South African Schools Act of 1996 and any provincial education law,
- to comply with our monitoring and reporting obligations to National and Provincial Government departments in terms of the South African Schools Act of 1996, and
- to comply with any law or order of court.
4. With whom do we share your information:
- We share your personal information with third parties, including National and Provincial Government bodies. This includes but is not limited to the Department of Basic Education, the Western Cape Education Department, ISASA (Independent Schools Association of Southern Africa), IEB (Independent Examinations Board), and Cambridge Assessment International Education.
- The level of sharing and the nature of what is shared depend on various factors. The Government bodies to which we transfer your personal information will use your personal information for their own purposes (including: to verify other information they already hold about you, etc.) and they may aggregate it with other information they already hold about you and your family.
- We also share your personal information with other third parties including our insurance company and other service providers (including IT providers, security providers, legal advisors etc.).
Please note that we do not transfer your personal information to another country or international organisations except to meet the educational requirements as deemed necessary to ensure the efficient management of data by the school. In the event of this being necessary, the data laws of both the country involved and the POPI Act will apply.
The school does not engage in automated decision making/profiling.
5. How long we hold your personal information:
- a) Personal information is kept for as long as it is needed to comply with the administration needs of the school, requirements of the provincial and national departments of education and any applicable law.
- b) Certain personal information of students such as student annual promotion schedules is retained for as long as it is in the interests of the data subjects to retain it.
6. You have the following legal rights that can be exercised at any time:
- Right to complain to the Office of the Information Regulator.
Contact details: JD House 27 Stiemens Street Braamfontein Johannesburg 2001
- Right of access to your personal information.
- Right to rectification of any personal information that is not accurate.
- Right to object to processing of your personal information.
7. Further Information:
For further information, please see the PAIA (Promotion of Access to Information Act) Manual here or alternatively contact the school’s Information Officer or Deputy Information Officer.
The Deputy Information Officer is:
Sarah Mitchell who can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org
8. Queries and complaints :
Please first give us a chance to resolve any query or complaint by contacting us at the details below. Your complaint should include a brief description of what happened, when it happened and what personal information was affected.
If you would like to discuss anything in this privacy notice, please contact the school Information Officer:
Ms Shelley Frayne at: email@example.com